Monday, February 9, 2009

New Eugenio Martin book


A new book on director Eugenio Martín has been released. The authors are Carlos Aguilar, who has written many books on the Spanish participants of the Spaghetti Western genre. Collaborating with Carlos on the book is Anita Haas, who has previously written a book on Eli Wallach. An homage to Martín and his films was recently held from January 24 – February 1 at the “Retro Back” International Classical Film Festival in Granada, Spain. Martin directed such Spaghetti Westerns as “The Ugly Ones” (1966), “Duel in the Eclipse” (1967), “Pancho Villa” (1971) and “Bad Man’s River” (1972).

6 comments:

  1. He also directed HORROR EXPRESS, a Cushing/Lee thriller with Telly Savalas aboard a hellbound train, a pretty good public domain flick that can be found in lots of dollar store venues. I always liked his westerns, he had a good eye for locations and music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only wish these books were easier to get. I won't complain that they are in Spanish but trying to get your hands on any here in the U.S. is next to impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Horror Express and Bad Man's River, two of my favorite movies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom,
    I am not doubting it, at all; but, I am just curious to know...what is the source for Martin's directing credit on DUEL IN THE ECLIPSE?
    I know he is listed as the co-director with José Luis Merino on IMDB; but, all the prints of the film that I have seen only state L. Merino as the director.
    Just curious...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris - The only source I can find that gives Martin credit as director or co-director is the IMDb. Every other source that I have in my files, credit only José Luis Merino. Possibly someone thought Merino was a alias used by Martin but I doubt Eugenio Martin had anything to do with DUEL IN THE ECLIPSE. If anyone has the book in today's posting maybe they can tell us if any mention is made of Martin and DUEL IN THE ECLIPSE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I recall the Italo poster had one as a film by, and the other as director. I don't remember the order. Another one of these co-pros that needed a tax credit director name for each country.

    ReplyDelete